Faith BasedTreatment Program
There is a direct association between faith and recovery from addiction, and the spiritual or religious who suffer from addiction may make the most of the faith that they already have in recovery. In fact, there are faith based treatment programs specifically for such people.
Faith Based Recovery from Addiction
Many widely-used recovery methods,Â such as the 12 steps, emphasize the role that faith plays in recovery. Studies have also shown that faith strengthens oneâ€™s sobriety. However, it may also make the process of getting sober even more difficult.
Coping With Faith in Addiction
The stronger oneâ€™s faith is, the more guilt, shame or hopelessness they may feel. All addicts ave to cope with the guilt of hurting their family, friends and loved ones. Religious addicts and alcoholics not only have this to reckon with, but also the feeling that theyâ€™ve failed their faith and their God. Many even feel that God has abandoned them, or that they do not deserve to get sober. Paradoxically, they may have even lost their faith and struggle to find it again.
Faith Based Addiction Treatment
It is up to each individual him or herself to choose whether a faith based program is right for them, but countless recovering addicts have gained from such an approach to recovery. These programs offer all the fundamental services as other, secular treatments. They do not deny the value of therapy, drug testing, and comprehensive care. However, they add something extra, which can take any number of forms that depend on their associated sect or denomination.
Christian Addiction Treatment
- Attend weekly Mass
- Access to on-site priests or ministers
- Make confession and penance
- Become re-baptized into your faith
- Workshops based on Jesusâ€™ sermons
Jewish Addiction Treatment
- Recovery principles based on the Talmud & Midrash
- Learn selflessness through tzedakah
- Celebration of SabbathÂ & High Holidays
- Orthodox & observant accommodations
- Attend on-campus synagogue
Muslim Addiction Treatment
- Find structure & guidance through Sharia
- On-campus mosque & imam
- Sufi accommodations available
- Balanced recovery of the mind, body and nafs
- Daily salat
Buddhist Addiction Treatment
- Understanding of addiction as manifestation of dukkha
- Recovery principles based on the Noble Eightfold Path
- Practice mindfulness through bhÄvanÄ and jhÄna/dhyÄna
- Attain meaning in sobriety through dharma
Why Choose Faith Based Addiction Recovery?
Faith means many different things to many different people, but to all it means something in particular: giving up control of your life to something else. Whether you call that something God, Jesus, Yahweh, or Allah, you have made a decision to seek the aid of something greater than yourself.
Addicts are by nature powerless. They are powerless over not only drugs and alcohol, but over people, places, things, and life itself. Recovery requires not simply power, butÂ power that is greater than oneâ€™s self.Â Such a higher power can be found in any number of forms and ways, but one effective way is through faith and a treatment center that bases its recovery program on faith â€”Â a that speaksÂ most powerfullyÂ to you.